Alienation of Affection and Criminal Conversion

A Paramour Can Be Sued In North Carolina

Although many jurisdictions have abolished these actions, North Carolina continues to recognize both alienation of affection & criminal conversion as legal tort actions, substantiated by the willful and malicious interference of the marriage by a third party, commonly called a paramour.

Although these claims are often paired and discussed together, the two claims can be brought separately. Both claims are civil actions and are brought against a third party.

In North Carolina, it’s possible for the paramour to be held liable for the breakup or dissolution of a marriage in civil court. In cases involving high-assets or complex property divisions, a tort of this nature can substaintially alter the alimony agreement made in a final divorce settlement.

If you feel like you have been a victim of alienation of affection & criminal conversion, call today and discuss your options with attorney Timothy R. Oswalt